Guide Flexo Crabs *NEW*
These are not just any ordinary tubing body crab. Because of the high demand for more realistic and custom series of flex body crabs we designed our series of Guide Flexo's Crabs. We make these with the profile, colors and markings that trigger reactions on even the most pressured permit, trigger fish and bonefish flats.
Each Guide Flexo Features:
- Realistic Solarez Epoxy Eyes
- Bright Orange Brass eyes to mimic natural eggs
- Premium Allen saltwater hooks with low glare
- A more natural profile than most other commercially tied flex style crabs
A Guide Flexo for Every Flat:
- Sand Camo- Perfect for mixed bottom sandy flats, it there's a universal color its Sand Camo
- Marl Grey- Designed for the larger permit and bonefish of the Marls of Abaco, Bahamas but match any grey or rock bottom
- White- A perfect match for any white sandy bottom. If it wasn't for the orange brass eyes and red tipped claws, it would almost disappear. Ideal for destinations such like Cuba, Bahamas and Ascension Bay.
- Olive- Our dark/light olive color mixes in perfect over turtle grass and matches the green crabs that are found all over permit flats of Belize, Mexico and Honduras
- Brown- Ideal for darker sand bottoms or anywhere the crabs have a darker bodies. These are a great match for fiddler crabs and burrowing mud crabs
Body Guard Mantis *NEW*
The Body Guard Mantis was designed arounda mantis shrimp that we found all over the flats of our Faraway Keys base camp. They were aggressive with long, sharp claws. They were very translucent and matched whatever bottoms we found them on.
We had a few flies in our boxes that came pretty close but it wasn't until I came across a new material from Semper Fli that we really had a revelation in the pattern. "Guard Hair Chenille" was the magic material the Body Guard Mantis needed to go un-refused on any flat. This new materiall has small pearl UV micro tinsel built into a very translucent micro fiber the pulls light through the body of the fly just like the real thing.
We use contrasting rubber legs to match each color: Hot Orange/Tan rubber legs match our tan Body Guard, Pearl & Hot Orange rubber legs to match our white Body Guard Mantis and Hot OJ/Chartruese rubber legs to contrast the Olive Body Guard Mantis.
We knew we had a winner on our hands when we tested the newly designed Body Guard Mantis. Two casts and two permit later, Rankin was ordering them in every color for his upcoming 2020 season at Fly Fish Guanaja!
We are custom dying the Tan Mantis in dark Honduran Coffee for the perfect sandy shade. We tie these in small batches and they sell very quickly.
Available in White, Tan and Olive
Dave's Psycho Mantis
The Psycho Mantis was my first attempt to match the profile of a big mantis shrimp we were finding around the coral of the Faraway Keys base camp. Those one's were a whole variety of colors from white to tan and even bright green. It depended on the bottom they were living on. I knew it's what the big permit out there were smashing with their faces as they went tails up around the coral heads.
A few prototypes later and I had something that was delivering serious results for the first few anglers bold enough to throw a bright green peacock mantis imitation to a permit of a lifetime. The fly produced and continues to trick some of the most skeptical permit we encounter. We're excited to share the fly with even more fisheries and lodgesthis season!
The Psycho Mantis uses a custom combination of bright blue eyes, highly animating claws, micro rubber legs, contrasting rubber legs and a multi colored rabbit belly that pulsates and taunts permit and trophy bonefish. Hot orange dumbbells and a weed guard balance the Psycho so that it swims naturally and lands softly.
These are tied in small batches and sell very quickly!